145. You Don't Need a Passport to Change the World
Today's Out of the Ordinary Book:
The Ministry of Ordinary Places: Waking Up to God's Goodness All Around You
written and read by Shannan Martin.
Visiting Author, Shannan Martin, shares a reading from her latest book!
Key Conversation Points:
- Shannan's book is a gracious and frank read that opens our eyes to our callings in the ordinary places between laundry and leftovers, as she shows us how to stick with people for the long haul even through risks and brokenness.
- Lisa-Jo explains, "I was terrified of being ordinary', and with that one sentence Shannan Martin sums up every single one of us. Certainly me. And then she deconstructs the cliche of ordinary and puts it back together with pictures and stories and sidewalks full of people who will make you want to cry or sing or despair or dance or rail or just quietly whisper, amen. This book is a new pair of eyes. Go ahead, open them!'
- Through this book we're guided towards seeing that we're right where we're supposed to be and she shows us through her gifted storytelling how to see past our judgements and find authentic community with the neighbors at our ordinary tables.
- Don't we all know a child who needs us to step up for them? Shannan shares that "sometimes it takes a child to raise up a village shining light on its shared purpose for the sake of each other."
- You don't need a passport to change the world, you just need to open your front door. Listen as Shannan opens her eyes and heart to the boy standing on her front porch.
Click here to join the conversations we have with listeners every week around the podcast.
Sponsor appreciation: We're so grateful to partner with show sponsors that keep making our work possible.
Click here for 30% off your order with Betabrand, for a limited time. Find out why women are ditching typical work pants for Betabrand’s Dress Pant Yoga Pants.
Click here to join over 1 million people taking charge of their mental health through the online counseling offered by BetterHelp. Get 10% off your first month.
Click here to go to GreenChef.com/ordinary100 and use code ordinary100 to get $100 off including free shipping!
Click here for 20% off your first order with Onyx+Rose and use promo code ORDINARY!
Click here and download the Zocdoc app to sign-up for FREE and book a top-rated doctor.
Click here to sign up for your own digital Paper&String care package curated by Christie, Lisa-Jo and friends.